For the second time, through the month of May, Starbucks patrons will be able to support the efforts of Every Mother Counts (an advocacy campaign to reduce the global rates of maternity deaths) by purchasing a special compilation CD called Every Mother Counts Vol. 2.
The track list for the CD is a veritable who’s-who of top musical artists, including Sting, Dave Matthews, Coldplay, Beck, Rufus Wainwright, Alanis Morrissette, Bono and The Edge (U2), Patti Smith and others. Perhaps best of all, the majority of the tracks on the record (15 of 19) are previously unreleased—either brand-new songs, or unreleased versions of the songs (e.g., acoustic or live versions). A one-of-a-kind compilation, available for a limited time, supporting an outstanding cause—how can you beat that?
According to the Every Mother Counts website [URL: http://www.everymothercounts.org], pregnancy complications cause a mother to die once every 90 seconds around the world—and ninety percent of these deaths are preventable. The organization’s founder, model Christy Turlington Burns, invited artists from a variety of genres who are either parents or soon-to-be parents, to provide a diversity of perspectives on the album.
Every Mother Counts Vol. 2 will be available May 1-29 only at Starbucks Coffee locations. The announced track list is below.
- Bono and the Edge “Original of the Species” (acoustic version)
- Eddie Vedder “Skipping”
- Paul Simon and Edie Brickell “Pretty Day”
- Faith Hill “Wish for You”
- Sade “The Sweetest Gift”
- Lauryn Hill “I Remember”
- Rita Wilson “Baby I’m Yours”
- Diana Krall “Don’t Fence Me In”
- Seal “Secret”
- Dave Matthews Band “Sister” (live version)
- Sting “Fragilidad”
- Alanis Morissette “Magical Child”
- Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros “Mother”
- David Bowie “Everyone Says ‘Hi'”
- Cedella Marley “Get Up Stand Up”
- Beck “Corrina, Corrina”
- Rufus Wainwright “Instead of the Dead”
- Patti Smith “Somalia”
- Coldplay “Yellow” (acoustic version)